Saturday, October 10, 2009

2 Dollar Box

The Fire House Farm Stand by our house has these 2 dollar boxes that are filled with very ripe fruits and veggies. I thought it would be a fun challange to try to figure out what to do with the random assortment of produce.

Contents:
1 small red bell pepper
1 small orange bell pepper
1 small green bell pepper
1 lime
1 parsnip
2 bananas
1 large head of broccoli
2 large artichokes
1 jalapeno pepper
2 large tomotoes
1 bunch mustard greens

I know... random! But  I knew I was up for the challange. First I assesed what was still usable. Luckily everything passes with the exception of a few of the greens. After staring at the box for a few minutes I figured it out.

-I took the peppers and diced them up as well as about 1/3 of the broccoli head and used them in tonights dinner, sweet and sour chicken meatballs (which is amazing by the way).

-The tomotoes and jalapeno  were chopped up with some onion and garlic I had at the house, juiced half of the lime and cooked it all into salsa.

-I took the parsnip and diced it up with some potatoes, onions and broccoli along with the greens and made an amazing potato broccoli soup.

-The bananas are being turned into banana zucchini bread.

-I am saving the artichokes for another meal later.

The sweet and sour meatballs were, as I said, dinner tonight. The soup was put into quart jars for lunch tomorrow. I am pretty excited because we have a loaf of sourdough bread the will go prefect with the soup. The banana bread will be for breakfast tomorrow morning. I am sure we will make scrambled eggs tomorrow and we can put our fresh salsa on top! Not bad for 2 dollars! I got dinner tonight, Breakfast and lunch tomorrow as well as condiments as a side dish for another meal! I don't know if they will have more 2 dollar boxes but I will have to keep checking!

Challange completed!

2 comments:

OUR CLAN said...

sounds wonderful!!

Jenny said...

You are amazing and your family is spoiled by your homemaking skills!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...