Friday, April 24, 2009

How to make bar cookies with veggies!

I know what you are thinking, but using veggies in a bar cookies is an awesome way to get your kids to eat more of the green stuff. I made these today and my kids (yes, even the baby!) LOVE them. I packed them as full of good stuff as I could. I got the original recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook. But of course I made some adjustments.

I'll post the original recipe then my substitutions.

Original Recipe Carrot Zucchini Bars

Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Oven: 350°F
Makes: 36 bars
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot (about 3 medium)
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 recipe Citrus-Cream Cheese Frosting

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda. In another large bowl stir together eggs,carrot, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts,oil, honey, and vanilla. Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Spread batter in an un greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Bake about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Frost with Citrus-Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into bars.

Citrus-Cream Cheese Frosting: In a bowl beat one 8-ounce package softened cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Stir in 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel.


Leahona's Carrot Zucchini Bars
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 T milled flax seed
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t baking soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c zucchini finely shredded
1 1/2 c carrots finely shredded
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c diced dried plums (but raisins are just as good, I happened to be out of them at the time)
1/2 c large apple shredded (sub. for walnuts- babies can't have nuts)
1/2 c applesauce
1 t vanilla
1/4 c corn syrup (the only reason I sub. the honey is Babies can't have honey till age 1. I have found corn syrup makes a great sub for honey in most recipes)

Prepare same as original

I must confess, I used store bought cream cheese frosting. Adding whole wheat flour, dried plums (I only call them that because it sounds way better then prunes!) flax seed, and omitting the oil and adding applesauce I think helps the bar cookies really become a bit healthier.

I hope you take the challenge and slip some veggies in you cookies! Trust me, it's great!


ps. The serving size is 36 bars per pan.

1 comment:

OUR CLAN said...

have to try that one! Thanks. I tried your tip with the sink of warm water to get your bread to raise, works great!
am

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...